Friday, August 24, 2007

why this blog?

after years of living cooperatively, i am now, somewhat reluctantly, faced with the task of shopping and cooking for myself. i find this task very daunting.
so, what better way to address such a challenge than documenting all the choices i am making, and getting input from you--many of whom have been cooking for yourselves for far longer than i have--to help me make the best choices i can?
a little bit of background about my cooking guidelines:

  • i have no patience for process. i want to finish cooking my food in 15-30 minutes. between the fact that, come september, i will be working/going to school pretty much every day from 7:30 am - 8:30 pm, and the fact that i am totally lazy, i just am not going to do something that takes more time than that.
  • i have been vegetarian for 18 years. all the food that i make will be vegetarian. tips that involve any meat-based products, such as worchestire sauce (which has fish in it) won't help me. if you want to take my recipes and substitute meat in them, they might still taste good. i do it the other direction all the time. however, it is not recommended.
  • on the other hand, i am not vegan. some of the food on this site may contain egg or dairy products. not all of it, and probably not a majority of it, but some.
  • i don't like spicy food. not even a little spicy. i do like the tastes of raw garlic and ginger--i mean spicy like hot peppers.
  • that reminds me, i don't like peppers. or some other vegetables. i am not promising this will be well rounded or involve a lot of different foods.
  • i am trying to eat as much organic food as possible, which means more frozen food than usual because it is more affordable. the fact that it is pre-cut is also an enticement.
  • i do really like fake meat products. it would be fair to say i love them. they may factor heavily into my food posts.
  • i love food. i will not eat things that do not taste really, really good.
  • although i try to be concientious to get my nutrients, i do not refer to food i eat as healthy. as a fat person, that word has way too many "diet" connotations for me--which i think is bullshit--and that is not where i am at, at all. i will say nutritious, or good for my body, which are, for me, more to the point.
  • on that note, most of my meals follow the same basic format: whole grain (often whole wheat pasta), protein, green vegetable, other vegetable, flavoring. it might get boring. i am just warning you.

ok! enough intro for now! on to the ideas i have had so far!

No comments: